2.14.2010

Calgary Tower (2/9/2010)


In February 2010, I traveled to Calgary, Alberta in Canada to teach a week-long class at the University of Calgary. Right next to my hotel in downtown Calgary was the Calgary Tower. This is a picture of my hotel with the tower in the background.



One night, my co-worker and I decided to do the tourist-y thing and take the elevator to the top of the tower and dine in the rotating restaurant.


As we were rotating around the city, I decided to put two American pennies on the ledge and see what happened. I was expecting them to still be there when we made a complete rotation.


To my great delight, someone had taken my two American pennies and replaced them with a Canadian dime. I thought it was perfect. In hindsight, I guess I should've put out a quarter or something and upped the ante, but we didn't really want to sit there for another 45 minutes, waiting for another rotation.



The tower also had a glass floor you could walk on....525 feet above the ground. My co-worker Rob didn't hesitate a second before stepping out on the glass. I, on the other hand, couldn't get within three feet of it without feeling nauseated.



Rob kindly took this photo of my hotel for me, looking straight down!


This young girl thought I was just stupid as can be because I wouldn't go on the glass. She spent her time skipping back and forth, showing off for me. I asked her if she was brave enough to lie face down on the glass and sure enough, she was.



What a fun experience.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Did you keep the Canadian dime?

Shawna said...

I did not keep the Canadian dime. I figured it would be more fun for someone else to find it.