4.04.2010

Hunting for Petroglyphs in the Nevada Desert





My mom had read a newspaper article about a petroglyph site not too far from her home in Mesquite, Nevada. Now, keep in mind "not too far" is a relative term, especially when you take into account you have to get there on a dirt road. We all agreed we'd go see them, not really understanding how long it would take to get there.

Luckily for 15-year-old Codey, Chris agreed to teach him how to drive a stick on the dirt roads. For the most part, he did OK; but when we encountered some people on four wheelers, he got a little nervous and said, "What do I do? What do I do?" Chris, Tyler, and I are like, "umm, stop?" We got a good laugh out of that. It was our only entertainment on what seemed like a very long drive (it ended up being 30 miles, one way).



Once we got to the site, we had a lot of fun scrambling around the rocks. It was Easter Sunday and we actually saw two wild bunnies. I thought that was VERY cool and tried to get a picture of them; but of course, the boys thought it was more fun to scare away the bunnies. Where is their Easter spirit, I ask you?

We came across this little tunnel in the rocks. Chris and Tyler are investigating to see if they can fit through. What do you think? Did they make it?



Tyler, yes; Chris, no.



I think this is a pretty cool picture. That's Chris on top of the rock and below it is Shawn and his two boys, Codey and Tyler.



What is Codey pointing at, you might wonder? The answer is nothing. He just thought it would look really cool in the photo. He's kinda right.



The boys had no trouble scrambling over the rocks and climbing up the rock walls. They even made Colette nervous a time or two.

No comments: